Re: [Epic] Psychic Phase [was: Re: Titan Legions]

From: The Unknown Dwarf <leffewbe_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 14:29:58 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Brett Hollindale wrote:

This looks more like you have trouble beating squaats than them being
generally cheesy... i often have trouble beating eldar but that doesnt
make them cheesy.

> Overlord Airships Companies.
> Go to high altitude, move and FF death on anything (cause you can see it all...)
> Fixed 50/50 save (better than anything except an avatar) and if you fail
> this save, there is still a 2 in 3 chance that you save on a 1+ all round!
> More firepower than any other 250 pts unit... What more do you want?

Yes, that's right, squats actually have a super heavy type vehicle with
SORT OF a damage table, heaven forbid, this makes them so cheesy. Sorry,
that means nothing, every army has good units, squats don't have titans so
they have super heavies like the colossus, cyclopes, overlord and
leviathan. Yes, balance, very cheesy.

> Guild Biker Forces.
> The best bikes in the game (+4 CAF) and almost the cheapest. (Only IG get
> cheaper bikes and then only just cheaper.) And if these stumpy bikes ever
> break (not likely!) they don't vanish like IG bikes!

Oh, that's right, because it's better than IG, it MUST be cheesy. I can't
beleive this, you are comparing two units and saying the better one is
cheesy??? That makes alot of sense... you know eldar can make a case for
having better bikes since they are faster and skimmers... are the eldar
bikes cheesy too? And remember, if you DO break the company you get alot
of VP's for it...8 for a 600pt company. And yes, squats morale is better,
because they are SQUATS... eldar have better moral than IG too, are they
cheesy?

> Super Heavy Vehicles.
> Move and then FF. (No one else does that!)
> COLOSSI:- Have spotters for their one shot barrage missiles so that they are
> always direct fire. Have more forepower than any other 500pt unit (8d6 hit
> on a 4+ save at -2, huge barrage weapon, 4 one shot missiles, 1d6 range 50
> hit on 3+ save at -3, and a mere 16d6 of bolters) And lets not forget the
> support gyrocopter... (Did I mention a 1+ all roud save with 6 - count them
> - six! void shields)

That's right, and NO damage template and NO damage table which is why it
NEEDS 6 void shields. Once the colossus losses it's void shields or if
psychic attacks pass through them, they stand a very good chance of dying
because they get their saving throw and that's it... same with all the
other super heavy vehicles... without damage templates and tables, it
makes them easier to kill once the shields are by passed or knocked
down... the warlord has 6 shields too, is it cheesy?

> usual huge barrage weapon, 8d6 of bolters and the rad bomb... One shot,
> unlimited range, 8 barrage points ignoring cover save at -1, **12cm**
> diameter template!!

Oh my you are right, i forgot, just beacuse the rad bomb has a similar
effect to a barrage missle launcher on a titan (extra d6 barrages, 8BP's,
-2 save) that makes it cheesy since only IG and SM can have things like
that.

> CYCLOPS:- Just your average SHV - 5 void shields, 1+ all round save, a close
> range weapon pack with one notable exception - the 100cm hit on a 2+ save at
> -6 blows through void shields does +6 damage on titans CHEDDITE PROJECTOR!!!

Yeah, and it has NO firing arc, just stay away frm it... it's no worse
than a plasma destructer.

> Super heavy artillery that can still fire when close assaulted! (You can't
> pin a SHV with smaller than a SHV, and unpinned SHV's can target anything
> they want...) And of course the squat artillery is cheaper and better than
> anyone elses artillery... (Longer range, better save mod, ignores cover -

That's right i get one barage per turn with each and it's variable. I
don't know what problems YOU'VE had with them, but they aren't as usful as
you think except against eldar. But yeah of course, somcething
potentially harding hitting than an IG barrage weapon so it's cheesy.

> Snap fire weapons.
> Again super heavy! CAN target ground units. (NOT the best snap fire weapon
> in the game - but close!)

This is a joke right? All snape fire weapons are good... the firestorm
hits on a 3 or 4, this hits on a 5 so it's cheesy? This is too funny.

> Gyrocopters.
> Faster than other skimmers, 360 degree fire arc (better than other
> skimmers,but cheese IS round isn't it?), the usual (for squats) outrageous
> break point...

THAT'S RIGHT... that's the point, that's the strength of the squats...
high break points are part of the squats srengths... they don't have
titans, no psychers, limited psychic protection, but i forgot, armies with
strengths and weeknesses are cheesy and ones with average abilities at
everything are not right?

> Other units:
> Other units that cost the same as anyone elses units and have better break
> points thus giving up VP harder than other armies... (eg. Squat tarantulas
> have a break point of 4 out of 5 instaed of the usual 3 out of 5.)

Yeah, that's the nature of squats, higher break points and better morale,
you also GET more VP's for those units with high break points... You don't
seem to understand that armies have strengths and weeknesses, eldar, Space
Marine, Squats, Chaos, etc... all you have done is pick out good units for
squats and call them cheesy CAUSE THEY ARE GOOD... you compared them to
other units and called them cheesy cause they are better... ok i can do
that too... squats only get 2 choices of troops companies (both same
selection of troops, one is carried in a leviathan), wherase other armies
like IG and SM, get wide troops selection... and SM/IG get entire
companies of heavy weapons troops (ie - devestators, etc) but squats
don't... i guess SM/IG are cheesy then... eldar have the most specialized
troops in the game, guess they are cheesy... lets all just play the same
army so no one is cheesy.

>Is this enough back up?

No, all you've done is whined about good units of an army and say they are
cheesy... every army has strengths and weeknesses, and just because you
have trouble with one don't label it cheesy. It's just like all those
people who call 40K eldar cheesy because the lose against it or call WHFB
Dwarves or Empire cheey cause they have good war machines, etc..

Sorry to the other list members about this, but it bothers me when people
label armies cheesy because they have trouble beating them or something...

My point about the psychic phase is that IMO it's not balanced between
armies, not even remotely, whereas IMO army lists have an overall balance,
even when some units are better than others.

Brad Leffew
Orc DeathDealers Team Coach
Squat Warlord/Space Marine/Knight Commander
King of WHFB Bretonnia Army (newly aquired, love the models)
High King of WHFB Dwarf Army

"If we deny love that is given to us, if we refuse to give love because we
fear the pain of loss, then our lives will be empty, our loss greater.
        -Tanis Half-Elven "Dragons of Winter Night" by Margaret Weis

Clarkson University
leffewbe_at_...