Re: [Epic] Psychic Phase [was: Re: Titan Legions]

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 18:54:33 -0500 (EST)

The Unknown Dwarf <leffewbe_at_...> writes:
> On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Mark A Shieh wrote:
>
> I have, most of the time my overlords are killed with cheap fire because
> no matter how big or small a weapon is, if it hits, on a 6 the over lord
> dies...

        This is true, however, cheap fire tends to have a range of
50cm or less. If you're exposing most of your large targets to fire
anyways, then having Overlords fly high isn't going to make them
particularly vulnerable. The cheap fire will then have to be 25cm or
closer in order to be in range. I find this to be a relatively rare
occurrence.

> Yeah, many people seem to overestimate the usefulness of the goliaths...

  They're a nice model though! :)

> > I actually prefer the Thunderfires. They are about twice as hard to
> > wipe out, cost the same, and don't have to shoot all at once. Sure,
> > they're _bolted_ to the ground (One of my favorite parts about the
>
> I love my thunderfires when they hit since they DO hit hard, but they
> don't hit as often as firestorms

  The last time I made some calculations, it turned out that the
Thunderfires hit more than the Firestorm. It's almost the same as
comparing a Falcon's firepower to a Land Raider's. 3 4+ shots vs. 6
5+ shots... Assuming, of course, that the target is within 75cm and
isn't -1 to hit.

  I also assume you're playing that all three guns on the Thunderfire
snap fire, and not just the big one?

> and being anchored means anything that causes them to move will
>destroy them..

        I didn't think that moving them destroyed the unit, only that
they were incapable of moving themselves. I have no idea what would
happen with a wave serpent warp wave or an eldritch storm.

        Hmm. I glossed over this somehow, as I tend not to worry
about facing it... I guess I better get more Doomweavers painted, but
I generally don't have enough stuff to throw at them to kill them.
Doomweavers are unreliable, and the rest of the stuff has a shorter
range. But I'll have to look into it and see if it turns out to be
worth the cost I spend killing them.

Mark