Re: [Epic] Problems with the old system

From: Dan Lobb <danlobb_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 18:56:44 -0800

John A Chapman wrote:

> > > Our house rules are currently something along the lines of:
> > >
> > >1) Go over the forest. No penalties for movement. Must end movement
> > >on passable terrain.
> > >
> > >2) Go through the forest. No penalties for movement, crash into a
> > >tree on a 4+. I think we had considered other rules for moving slowly
> > >through a forest, but it was too much effort. Basically, it was
> > >agreed upon that it should possible, and very dangerous. My jetbikes
> > >have never been desperate enough to have to try it, so it hasn't been
> > >a problem.
> >
> > We always let skimmers stop over impassable terrain. Of course, if you are
> > above tree top level lots of people can see you . . .
> >
> > Temp
> >

> Hasnt anyone ever noticed that its really strange that if skimmers
> end the turn over impassable terrain they have to land (ie crash - even when a
> normal unit wouldnt have a problem ie difficult terrain - they still crash)
> yet if involved in close combat they , amazingly are still suspended high
> in the air so that anyone can shoot at them (ie CC). What do they do-
> intentionally
> dive into the ground in a suicidal frenzy at the end of the turn? Reaeeeeel a:
> convenient b: inconsistent.
> I like the 'stop over impassable terrain ' house rule.
> JAC
I would guess that skimmers are capable of increasing there output
breifly to jump obstacles, but can't sustain it for an extended period.
Perhaps like a basketball player that can jump to dunk the ball, but
can't hang in the air around the basket indefinitely. They draw the line
between skimmers and flyers here. Skimmers make popup attacks. That
sounds like they have an abrupt rise and fall in the tactic.

Just an opinion.

danlobb_at_...