Re: Books (was Re: [Epic] Nukes in Epic universe)

From: Seth Ben-Ezra <Azathoth_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 00:56:53 -0500

On 22 Jan 97 at 17:28, Michael the Liu wrote:

> >>I realize that this isn't a sci-fi mailing list, but I thought that,
> >>in light of the Heinlein comments drifting around, that I would make a
> >>brief note of how indebted we Epic players (or at least we Marine
> >>players) are to Heinlein. If you like science fiction, or can at
> >>least stand it, read Starship Troopers. As far as I know, this is the
> >>first occurence of powered armor or drop pods in sci-fi. Plus you
> >>have your archetypical alien bug race, complete with hive mind.
> >>(Tyranids, anyone?) Besides, it's a cool book. (It even includes the
> >>use of infantry-carried mini-nukes!)
>
> >Yes! ... and I think that someone at GW also read Heinlein ... and steals
> >ideas >:]
>
> I also think someone down at GW reads Frank Herbert (of _Dune_ fame) and
> steals ideas too!
>
> Supporting Points:
> -both have navigators for starships who have become rather inhuman and have
> three eyes, with the third to look through time and space for obstacles
> -nowhere else have I heard the word "lasgun" used besides these two universes
> -the strange idea of harsh environments=make super humans (Fremen,
> Sardaukar, Katachan Jungle Warriors)
> -the idea of a messiah/ruler who leads humanity towards some unknown (but
> presumably benevolent) goal (Leto II, Paul Muad'dib, The Emperor)
> -the idea of personal body shields
>
> There are a few more points but I can't think of them off hand. The last
> few points are a little weaker but those navigators and lasguns are pretty
> convincing I think.
>
> See! I knew there was someway that we'd manage to relate the books we read
> to an Epic mailing list!
>
> Michael, the Liu who spends too much of his time thinking about his little
> wargames
>
> PS: Whoever said that all the Dune books after the first one sucked: What
> are you thinking!? I loved that series! (Though I suppose we really
> shouldn't debate the merits of it over the list ;P)

Add to the list of harsh environments making super soldiers all the
Space Marine Chapters. The term "soldier-fanatic", which is applied to
the Sardaukar in Dune, could easily be applied to the Marines.

Another book, which is related to Heinlein's Starship Troopers is The
Forever War by Joe Haldeman. Combat drugs show up in that book.

As for the rest of the Dune books being good or bad, Michael bearer of
the Liu, drop me a private email at azathoth_at_... and we'll debate.
 I read the entire series and only cared for the first book. Could be
an interesting discussion.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf