Re: [Epic] late night terrain

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 09:51:03 GMT

At 01:19 AM 25/1/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>It is about 2 a.m. here and I'm droning along. Going to be working the
>night through building terrain for tomorrow. At the moment I'm working on
>some destroyed buildings to be placed as rubble for standing buildings
>that are dropped during the battle. Basic stuff really, just outline the
>building on cardboard, use some white glue to stick kitty litter to the
>cardboard (makes decent looking rubble), and paint. End result isn't the
>best, but it will work. Later on I'll add some walls to the sides, but at
>least now I have a few rubbled buildings.
>
>Just picked up the remains of an Emperator Titan from a friend of mine.
>I'm trying to decide what to do with it. It is missing to many pieces to
>field. I'm trying to decide if I want to make a Titan-in-construction
>piece or build a Titan-just-been-destroyed piece of terrain. I'm leaning
>towards a destroyed Titan. Either one that has fallen into the side of a
>building (the model is missing a leg) or build a large crater and put bits
>all around it. I don't know, any thoughts?

Go for the just destroyed Titan dude. I saw some really good work with
flames painted on a titan and cotton wool dyed black for smoke...

>The upshot of this is that I'm wondering what everyone else is doing for
>terrain these days. Is anyone working on anything at the moment?
>Finished anything that turned out nice? How about simple terrain that
>looks good enough? Been awhile sense we discused the modeling side of
>this hobby. I would like to hear some tips from all of you out there,
>and I'll bet there are a lot of people who would also.

I'm into simple terain. If it looks good, that's a bonus!

I make hills with a hot knife and polystyrene and then PVA glue some green
felt over the finished product. Simple, effective, looks excellent... What
more could you want? (I make the hills completely un-uniform to get away
from the "this is a level one hill", "this is a level two hill" syndrome.)

Agro

>Well, off to see if my rubble is ready for painting. Good night all.
>
> Chad Taylor

PS. A buddy is making up an airstrip with 50-100 flashing LEDs spread
around various buildings, hangers, control tower and mostly down the side of
the runway. (They run in a line from one end to the other and the lights
sort of walk the length of the runway - I haven't explained that really
well, but trust me it's pretty cool...)