Re: [Epic] -Chaos- Tactic Critique

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:53:50 -0400 (EDT)

"Miller, Chris" <CMiller_at_...> writes:
> > Also, I am assigning fault, because I consider it relevant.
> >The LoB has the follower morale vulnerability because it's a property
> >of the minions, not the LoB. I don't consider it a pro or con of the
> >LoB, because these minions can't be taken without the restriction,
> >while the LoB can be taken with lesser daemon followers to avoid the
> >restriction.
[snip]
> To me, it matters when a unit has additional baggage that
> could cause 3-5 other detachments to have a new vulnerability
> if it's destroyed. Sure, compared to other GD's it's irrelevant
> but this is LOB vs a Reaver Titan - which is more effective for
> Chaos?

> If you want a specific situation, say I have 800 pts to spend.
> I can take a LOB and 300 pts, or a Reaver and 300 pts of support
> cards for open slots on GD's I already have.

        I think we're going to have to disagree on this con/lack of
con. In my past experience, this situation isn't going to happen when
our group creates forces. It's more like, I have 1000 points to
spend. I can buy:

1) A GD, A Reaver titan, and 2+ support cards that break when the GD
dies.
2) A LoB, no Reaver Titan, and 3+ support cards that break when the
LoB dies.

(Or I can buy demons in either case)

        When viewed this way, I don't consider the support cards
breaking something that weakens the LoB. If anything, it strengthens
them as the LoB tends to either outlive the GD, or the GD is cowering
in a forest and not contributing but costing me 300 points as a
placeholder for the minion card slots.

> ----> The followers are cetainly affected by it, but only if the LOB
> dies,
> so you can't just say "it's the followers fault". It's a disadvantage
> when comparing the LOB to a reaver titan - not huge, but
> something to think about. We've been comparing 2 units for
> Chaos with the same points cost.

        But *all* company cards in the Chaos army have that
disadvantage, and you can't field anything without taking them. So to
me, it's a LoB instead of a Bloodthirster, since I have to take one
anyways. I'm don't have any weaknesses that I didn't have before I
added the LoB. (Keep in mind that I play mostly Khorne, so I'm going
to have a Khornate GD no matter what)

> -----> Reavers and LOB's are both available to Chaos, so they ARE
> elements of the same force.BTW- Do you have a reaver titan support
> (small) card?

        I hope that's what I was saying. But the Reaver is only
available to Chaos as a support card, as Chaos does not get special
card slots, except maybe on the traitor legions. I do in fact have a
Chaos support card for the Reaver (or Aaron does, I don't remember).
It says in Renegades that Marine support and Titans can be fielded as
minion cards, but I don't remember the wording. So my loyalist
special card is also a Chaos minion card (It's just a bit larger than
most of my minion cards). And to me, a useful Company card is far
more valuable than a useful minion card, as I'm usually maxed out on
minions anyways.
        In the Chaos army, each GD card can have 3-5 minion cards, and
0 special cards.

Mark