RE: [Epic] Deathwing Detachment

From: John Erickson <erickson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 08:27:19 -0500

I'm working on an Epic 40K web page devoted mostly to the Dark Angels.

This is cool. Dark Angels have been my favorite since Rogue Trader days.
<snip all the stuff he worked so hard on, sorry.....>

Deathwing: As described in Codex: Angels of Death Members are immune to
the effects of psychology. Members of the Deathwing are know for their
unwillingness to back down in the face of horror. To represent this the
Deathwing special ability gives it's detachment members: +2 to their
Assault value, and the Rampage special ability. Note that the +2 to the
Assault value is added after the doubling for any Hero ability.
This part I have a problem with. I don't play 40K but I have kept up with the rule
changes. I believe the only thing special about Deathwing is that they are
immune to psychology. Yippee, in 40K marines immune to psychology, big bonus.
I don't see where this turns them into hand-to-hand monsters. I would think
more along the lines of automatically passing leadership tests. Maybe ignoring
blast markers all together if the Detachment was restricted enough. Actually
I wouldn't even do that because the only support I would let them have is Land
Raiders and they really don't need to be ignoring blast markers. Let me finish
this by saying I'm against any special rules for units. I did not like the article
on the different detachments in White Dwarf. As soon as I read it I called
my main opponent and assured him my Ravenwing would never use those rules.
As soon as special rules are made you have everyone flocking to the groups
with the greatest, and always underpriced, bonuses.

You may include as many Deathwing detachments in your army as you wish.
However, you should note that the Deathwing is just a single company and
can muster a maximum of 50 units (split as you wish).
50 units seems kinda big. There is what 100 marines in terminator armor, 20
squads, and then 20 land raiders to carry them around. And with a strict reading
of the rules you could put them in 10 LR's. So using the detachment sheet you
could get 10 squads and 10 support units. I didn't intend to detract from your work,
I just don't see this the same as you I guess.
John