Re: [Epic] Epic 40k Armies

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2097 19:26:06 -0400

> > Apart from that, Orks are all-rounders. They're 2nd best at everything.
> > Out-shot by Imperials, out-CCd by nearly everyone else. Against an
> > opponent who's not really proficient with his force, and who doesn't
> > have a set of pre-planned moves and tactics, you'll do well with even
> > simple tactics. But against a good opponent, you have to be either much
> > better or very, very lucky to even draw. Regardless though, they're
> > great fun, and do have some excellent units.
>
> I should be playing against some Orks soon, so afterwards my opinion
> may change more towards yours. At the moment, however, the Orks
> look to be pretty good at CC! It's true that some other armies
> can muster units with superior Assault values, but recall that the
> Orks get to replace all their initiative counters in the cup before
> the Assault phase.
>
> If the Orks win initiative in the assault phase, which they normally
> should, then they should very easily be able to set up assaults they
> can win. Put your best CAF unit in contact with their worst, then pile
> on the supporting fire. Break the detatchment and they won't be able
> to counter assault when its their turn. I've managed to do this to
> Aspects a couple of times (though the first was actually an accident).
>
> Still, that's just the results of "thought" problems. I still lack
> actual experience against Orks in E40K. What have others found in
> actual play?

> Allen (The Q&A guy)

Well, I've played a few games with and against Orks, and there's no way
they are ineffective compared to the other armies. They've got a slightly
different feel than before, and it takes a few tries to learn how to put
their detachments together, but they have a lot going for them.

The Ork rule about getting their counters back in the assault phase is real
handy. Winning initiative in the assault means that you can assault weak CC
units and firefight the CC monsters. Unless they're 'Nids, this'll make
their assault phase a big dark hole 'cuz their units will be broken.

Nobz are really good. I mean it.

Ork artillery can be transported in battlewagons! This makes it very
maneuverable.

Also, all the Ork units have firepower values. This is a big advantage over
daemons and 'Nids, because firefights happen about as often as close
combats. There's nothing more pathetic than watching a daemon pack
outgunned and broken by a lone warbike... "well, my one firepower vs. your
zero.... I guess that's a +4." Plus, it allows Orks to overwatch
effectively, which means even Ork CC detachments can, if the situation
warrants, use a defensive strategy rather than always seeking the enemy.
(That White Dwarf battle report is a classic example of putting Ork
firepower to good use).

Ork Gargants are also real cool; Mega Gargants particularily. They are much
less vulnerable to antitank weapons (my bane), relatively speaking, than
Imperial Titans, because they generally have more shields and DC. The
option of making one your supreme commander is particularily juicy; 50 pts.
for maximum shields and the commander ability. You have to watch out for
death rays, though, because once those shields are down, they become
irresistibly drawn to you.

Pulsa Rokkits are excellent support for your assaults, and big gunz are
very good value for the points.

Battlewagons are both cheap and plentiful; If you have enough (and I
certainly do), you can mechanize all your infantry. They are also
reasonably effective in stand-alone tank detachments.

All in all, the Orcs are probably, along with the Marines, the most
well-rounded force; they can do everything well. I see this as an
advantage, not a diadvantage, because they can outshoot the close combat
folks, out-assault the firepower folks, and have the weight of numbers to
bail themselves out of trouble if not everything goes according to plan.

Regards, Eugene