[Epic] Something strange happened while Drybrushing

From: Bill Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 19:30:46 -0400

Something strange happened while I was dry brushing some SM infantry today.
First of all, my Marines are from my Obsidian Guard chapter, whose colours
are black, with red shoulderpads, guns and left knee pads. First, after
doing basic colours, I drybrushed the black parts with Electric Blue, to
give the armor a bluish tint, which is better then grey, especially since my
only grey is Ghoul Grey (Which is kinda, well, some colour other then just
grey, it has a hint of something so delicate that you can't identify it,
only to say that it isn't blue, and the overall affect isn't quite grey)
Then I drybrushed the shoulder pads yellow (I bought Epic to be lazy, at
that size yellow can be mistaken for orange, so I only use on colour. People
who use more then two colours to drybrush infantry should be shot, note, I
don't mean shot as in gun, but shot as in with a camera, so we can recognize
the frothin' loonies before they get close enough to try to drybrush us)
Anyway, after basing (Check bottom for basing tip) I noticed that the top of
the marines highlights looked a little green. This is just a big waste of
bandwidth, but if you can think of something that can be done by mizing
colours on a model while drybrushing, tell me. From now on I just be more
carefull

Now for the hints about basing. I know that sometimes, if I'm not carefull I
glue the sand to the feet of a full sized marine (Especially when I have
hickups, like I did today, I'm amazed I did so well, seeing as I was
painting at the time) Anyway, I noticed that many of that sand grains that I
was using were bigger then the marines feet on Epic scale. I also noticed
that is very hard to paint the ground between a marines feet (Because I
don't bother to put glue there, just enough on the grey plastic to cover the
edge, and sometimes not even that) It is very difficult to paint sand green
unless you have A: lots of paint on your brush, or B: attack it from a high
angle. Both cases are dangerous and or impossible, and after slopping green
on my nice black marines, I decided to PAINT THE BASE, FLOCK OR SAND IT,
THEN PAINT THE SAND GREEN. I didn't do this for my full-sized because it was
a bit of a waste of paint. Also, I would advise against sanding between the
marines legs, they look like they are ankle deep in sand. With a patchy
affect around the base no one notices where I was too chicken to rish
painting glue incase it got on the marines

For those who are wondering what sand I am using, I use only the best
singing sands stolen in glass juice bottles from the beaches of PEI. This
gives me a high glass content, which means if I have enough, I can walk on
it and it will squeek. My scouts won't be sneaking up on anyone soon!

Tyler