Re: [Epic] Cost of GW stuff in Sydney

From: Bill Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 14:11:42 -0400

>Just thought I'd say that here in Sydney there are 2 independant
>gaming stores within a block of our main GW store, and both sell GW
>stuff at a discount of about 15% (GW charges AU$140 for E40K, and I
>got it 50m down the street for $100). Maybe they do not realise how
>much money they are missing out on? nIt's at the point where the
>_staff_ are practically telling customers to get their stuff at the
>other stores (that's loyalty for ya).

Yeah, loyalty to the gamer. I guess that's a flaw in GW's recruitment
techinique, you hire people who remember being a kid, and not having that
much money. And I know as a kid of 18 who has no money, you try to get so
much discount that the price actually reads negative, and they give you money.

That's what I like about DP9 (Who make another table top wargame that is
very good, although I don't play, not that that means it's bad, I own many
games that I don't play including 40k and FB (I haven't played Epic yet,
because I haven't assembled all my guys.) On their mailing list they have
two staffers on the mailing list who will instantly answer question, talk
about upcoming conventions. Heavy Gear had a fan club type thing (Basically
newsletter) that cost $30 Can, whihc includes a lot of stuff, like gamers
lists, having a character of your name in their books, being able to advance
that character and gets rank igsignia. Anyway, they didn't think that they
could put it out anymore, and offered to give their two newest source books
to members instead of a refund. The books added up to something like over
$40 American. Of course, member only got one, because they decided that yes,
ther could do the fan club, and because everyone was so pateint they would
give every member a free book (Not a little propaganda flier like the ones
you get in GW boxed games, but a book, lots of pages, that people actually
buy for $20 can). If that isn't good PR, I don't know what is.

Tyler