RE: [Epic] Interesting Orky Tactic...

From: Bill Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 20:21:12 -0400

At 03:09 PM 8/6/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I think I may be reading the rules wrong here; could somebody please
clarify. It seems in the below tactic, the idea is to have part of the
detachment well in advance of the rest of the detachment in order for the
guys in back to shoot WAY long range measuring distance from the guys in
front. For instance, the scouts 60 cm in front of the HQ unit and
Devastators 30 cm behind the HQ unit. The Devastators are shooting 45 cm
beyond the Scout screen in front. This just doesn't sound right. I've been
playing each individual unit in a detachment measures from their own stand
the distance to the target enemy detachment. As long as at least one of
your units in a detachment is in range of an enemy detachment, your
detachment can shoot at the enemy detachment, but only those units in your
detachment that are within range. Which way is correct?

I'm sorry for not making myself clear.

First of all, if what you described was possible (Using the scouts to add
60cm to the rest of the detachments range) then I would never use it because
it is powergaming, using the rules in a way that they are not intended to
destroy your opponent.

But it is not legal, because range is range is range. My point was the
Scouts were an advance force, usefull in securing a section of the table for
use by my heavy weapons detachment. And once this mission was completed, the
scouts were free to run intereferance, to help protect the heavy weapons.
Their 60cm command radius just helps them to do this. Although I wouldn't
let them stray outside of 45cm, which is the range for the Heavy Weapons
detachment. They can be used to slow a unit down (Which is useless, because
it would break the rest of the detachment) or to lure them within range of
the rest of the detachment.

I hope this makes more sense

Tyler