Re: [Epic] Armour

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 20:24:16 -0700

Sauron1 wrote:

> The effort to make armour,even with modern methods must be very time
> consuming.

Correct.

> To learn I can see you really taking an apprenticeship just like
> in history to learn your craft.

Also correct. "The Known World Handbook" also helps, which gives
directions on how to go about it.

> A few questiones; Do they rivet the mail,

Only the fanatics. Most are butted, some are soldered, a few are
rivetted, and fewer still are welded. Rivetting every ring of a 6-mesh
mail hauberk using tap washers (a favourite source of rings) would take
about 7000 hours of effort.

> is it made from bought flat or round wire, dose anyone use flat scale mail,

The purists have their own forges, and draw the wire themselves. The
rest of us use coathanger wire twisted into a coil with the help of a
piece of dowel and an electric drill, or tap washers, or similar. One
person of my acquaintance made a 20cm by 30cm patch of 6-link mail, each
link being no more than 1cm in diameter. Soldered. It literally flowed
like silk.

> and like any hobby the new people must be a whole lot less armored that the
> "old hands".

Since Safety is an issue, everyone is fairly well armoured. But then
again, carpet-dipped-in-epoxy covered with a cloth hauberk is cheap and
easy.

> I think you must have a very good medical plan too.

Yes, it's called a "Waiver form" which indemnifies the SCA against any
claim for compensation. We do have free medical care in Oz, which helps.
But apart from the very rare broken finger, and extremely common bruise,
there are few actual casualties. Last time I saw someone get a broken
bone was in the 80's ( a steel clamshell gauntlet was 3mm thick instead
of 4mm, and failed when hit square, resulting in a broken finger).

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture