Re: [Epic] Armour

From: Paul Collins <pcollins_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 03:13:29 +1000

> Only the fanatics. Most are butted, some are soldered, a few are
> rivetted, and fewer still are welded. Rivetting every ring of a 6-mesh
> mail hauberk using tap washers (a favourite source of rings) would take
> about 7000 hours of effort.
>
> > is it made from bought flat or round wire, dose anyone use flat scale
mail,

> The purists have their own forges, and draw the wire themselves. The
> rest of us use coathanger wire twisted into a coil with the help of a
> piece of dowel and an electric drill, or tap washers, or similar. One
> person of my acquaintance made a 20cm by 30cm patch of 6-link mail, each
> link being no more than 1cm in diameter. Soldered. It literally flowed
> like silk.

Most of the Mail in the NVG is 5 mm Spring Steel rings bought in large
lots. (1000's at a time) With some un-employed or Uni students making up
squares of a 100 or so, and then selling them off. Mostly butted. The
Scale was also 5 mm cut to shape with a laser cutter (by a professional
company) and drilled with a drill press. Scale by its nature tends to
develope a curve in it (because of the overlapping edges in the lacing
methods) but this tends to fit the human body fairly well anyway.

St Paul the Beardless, From Sinful Sydney :-)