RE: [Epic] Veteran Marines -Reply

From: Elias Tiliakos <elite_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 97 11:20:46 EDT

At 03:30 PM 8/12/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Veteran (Marines) in 40K have the same squad make up as normal tactical
>or (Blood Angels) assault squads, they have the same weapons but have a
>higher Ballistic Skill (BS) or Weapons Skill (WS) which makes them more
>likely to hit/ more likely to win a close combat. I would suggest that they be
>better served by automatically recieving the Overwatch ability to represent
>the higher BS and a reroll in close combat similar to that given by the force
>commander, along with the remove D6 blast markers (rather than D6-1)
>representing the higher leadership.
>I'm not sure about a points cost though
>
>Chris

Ok, I think this is going way too far. As far as I know, terminators
are _already_ veteran marines, and the only thing that's different about
them is that they get a Save, and that's only due to the armor. While
it may be nice to try to bolster the marine line with special ability
troops, in my opinion, the marines already have a good starting point
right out of the box and don't need much else than what's already in
the army list to kick some serious butt. I am a marine player, so
don't think I just want to crush hopes here. I think the best suggestion
so far has been to give them the Assault ability. Paint their helmets
a different color than standard for that chapter, use normal tac squads
for the figures, and there you go.

Elias