Re: [Epic] Painting the little guys

From: Bill Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 11:33:43 -0400

>I need to find something to put on the banner held by the marine
>on my command stand, though. I looked through a huge collection of
>decals in the hobby store, but they all seemed to be specific for
>what they are for, and have way too many recognizable symbols. I'd
>like to find a set of generic decals, or decals for small-scale
>historical or fantasy figures. All the ones I was looking at seemed
>to be for WWII airplanes.
>
>How do you paint the sergeant figures? It is hard for me even to tell
>what I'm looking at. I think he's got his head turned to his right,
>has no helmet, and has some kind of device on his right eye. I've
>been painting those a variety of shades of pinks and browns, and
>painting what I think is the hair black or brown, even if all the
>pictures of Space Marines I remember seeing have blonde or white
>hair.

I think the device is a targetter, I leave it flesh for that "Hunchback of
Notre Damne" expression, with the head cocked to the side and grotesque
bulge over the right eye. If anyone notices, they get a shot in the head for
looking at my miniatures too close. (I know my friend Mark will, and will be
able to annoy me just by looking. He's not right in the head)

As for banners, I suggest the IG transfers for WH40K. They have a lot of
skulls and stuff that don't necessarily mean anything. You can easily have a
skull with a thunderbolt coming out of its eye. I would do that, but
unfortunately, I spent a good amount of time naming my Marines and finding a
neat looking paint job, that using a skull with a thunderbolt coming out of
its eye would just not fit. BTW, that effect is easily done by applying the
skull, then the thunderbolt, then painting over the parts of the bolt that
are inside the skull with skull white. You could also just lay the skull,
and paint flames or thunderbolts coming out of the applicable parts.

>to be visible. I really notice, after their base coat, that they
>look like green blobs. The wash has been great at bringing out the
>details. That's pretty much what I want.
>
>andy
>askinner_at_...

Sounds good to me, Andy. My marines are black with Electric Blue highlights,
red pads which some have highlighted with yellow (For an orange effect) but
recently have just been washing them done with un-thinned Flesh Wash (For
all your chestnut wash needs)

Tyler