Re: [Epic] Painting the little guys

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 11:47:59 -0400 (EDT)

> >to be visible. I really notice, after their base coat, that they
> >look like green blobs. The wash has been great at bringing out the
> >details. That's pretty much what I want.
> >
> >andy
> >askinner_at_...

        I noticed a habit of mine that helps me pick out detail
recently, and I wondered if anyone else did this. My primer is okay,
but seems to conceal small amounts of detail (I think bare plastic has
more visible shadows or something). Painting it and/or washing it
brings it back, so I think it's just the way light interacts with
primer. So when I paint a figure for the first time, I keep an
unprimed copy of the figure around and refer to it somewhat often to
identify bits of it. Obviously, this isn't done on my 28mm fantasy
figures, or the larger vehicles, but I can usually see the detail on
those just fine.
        But I painted my first Ork boyz a couple days ago, and
discovered that I needed to pull out the unprimed ones to figure out
what the bits on the front were exactly.

Mark