RE: [Epic] OFF TOPIC - SCA/COMBAT

From: Bill Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 15:17:13 -0400

At 08:10 AM 8/12/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Parts of the SCA does rapier combat as well, (That would be fencing to
>the out side world, BTW).
>
>Sortof, it's a mutant form of fencing, i.e. non-linear. Something I would
like to try, but most SCA fighting is severly biased toward the extremly
large people.

You can do it, just yell "For the Empire!" or "Die Greenskin Scum!" freak
everyone out. Of course, being an extremely good fighter helps too.

> There are three types of fencing: Foil, which uses a straight, square in
cross section blade and uses only the torso as a target area; Epee', which
uses a heavier, triangular cross section blade with the entire upper body as
a target area; and Sabre, which uses a slightly curved blade (not sure of
the cross section) and uses the entire body as a target for legal hits.

> As to SCA, I saw a guy who was five foot nothing fighting Florentine style
(two weapons) take out four opponents by himself.