Re: [Epic] More painting of small details

From: Paul Collins <pcollins_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 22:30:14 +1000

----------
From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
To: 'space-marine_at_...'
Subject: RE: [Epic] More painting of small details
Date: Thursday, August 14, 1997 1:43 AM

>Sauron1 writes; Mark, can you get the English-Japanese translation of
>"SAURON1" to work. I have a new Bainlord Titan under construction and it
>needs a name. I tried the suggested service but it din not give me a name.

> sauron1

Hmmm, my Mandarin was never my strong point. But the first thing that came
to my mind was "Chao Ren", for Uber(super)-man. Pretty cool isn't it ? But
this is from a guy who screw up his primary school Mandarin :(

Regards
Oki

        Mandarin is Chinese, Sauron1 is looking for Japanese. I haven't taken
Japanese since elementary school, but I seem to remember there being some
differences.

        I think you may have some troubles finding a direct translation; the best
you can probably hope for is a phonetic approximation. For instance, my
name in class was "Kuh Re Su" (Chris), with the last syllable almost
swallowed it was so quiet.

Spot on. Unless Sauron has a literal meaning (ie: it's a real word and not
just a name) you will have to use Katakana to represent it. it would come
out something like (in Romaji) So - Ro N . japanese vowles are a short
sound, with the dash lenghtening that short sound, to samething like "saw".
 1 of course does have a japanese word, and a Kanji. I tche
and the kanji is basically a dash. Unfortunatly I can't type any Japanese
charactors on this computer (Have to get those font's off whoever).