RE: [Epic] Orks with LandRaiders

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:33:58 -0500

> Well, for starters, there's support for it in the
>background (Blood Axes buy equipment from the Imperium). But
>it's also important to consider the reasons behind wanting the
>Land Raiders - ie is it just a way to sneak in AT shots, or is
>it something more related to the character of the army? I
>don't see anything wrong with allowing a player who loves Blood
>Axes to take LRs at 70 points a pop. If the player is willing
>to pay that much for a LR then he's probably not doing it just
>for the AT shots anyway.
>
>----> Considering they nuked the clans in E40K except as paint jobs,
I don't know how much support is left for it. Sure, in regular 40K BA's
can take 'em, but they left that bit out. Besides, in most of the 40K
games around here, that rule gets warped pretty bad so I'm not too
upset to see it missing. "Look, it's an ork army with nothing but
Leman Russ tanks and Demolisher's. Oh, and there's a few boyz
here and there." Weenies tend to take the most powerful units
 available, ignoring flavor, and at that point I would expect to see a
distinct lack of wagon's in the ork army. I think you can get a lot of
character just from having the mini's without working in the statline.
 And in 40K, they can take about any imperial vehicle - how about
orky warhounds? (Ummm-that's for Epic, not 40K titans, which is
 another thread: BA Warhounds in 40K)

>> To me, you play your army or you don't, and when you start
>> trying to justify adding on the key/signature units from other armies,
>> you start to muddy it up. If the IG can't take LR's, then the orks
>> certainly
>> shouldn't be able to.
>
> The IG can take LRs - just add a SM armor detachment
>to the army. You get a SR boost out of it, too. The Imps
>seem to be one big army as far as GW is concerned.

----> Depends on what you want to call it - there's no LR entry under
the "Imperial Guard" army list. Take it and you have a mixed army.
That's fine,legal, etc, but if you want a "pure" IG army, you do
without.

>> I've seen this slippery slope start before. Even if you try to
>> control
>> it thru points cost, you'll get some weirdness: Suppose orks pay
>> double
>> for land raiders. Fine. Then a marine player wants some Eldar vehicles
>> at double points. Then the IG wants land raiders. It continues...
>
> There's no precedent for SMs having eldar vehicles,
>but OTOH if you want to experiment with that kind of stuff go
>right ahead (or you could just use them as Epic versions of
>the old Imperial jetbikes) And as mentioned above, IG can
>easily get LRs if it wants.

----> Hey, all the justification some people need to start an argument
is "but we're allies."
>> To wrap - use whatever mini's and conversions you want, but
>> don't
>> obsess on trying to actually get the units from another army. You want
>> them,
>> build another army. No army list out there now is bad - try using it
>> for
>> a while.
>
> If this is the real reason for wanting LRs, then I'd
>say sure, for double the points. If he then says he doesn't
>want them at that price, then you have a good idea at what his
>intentions were for wanting them in the first place.
>
>Scott
>shupes_at_...

----> Yeah, I think the doubled points is the true test of "flavor" vs
"munchkin" but I still am pretty narrow on messing with the army lists.
Each army has a "style" with certain bonuses and penalties regarding
certain types of units, and if you start giving orks AT shots etc, and
generally mixing lists, the armies become much less distinctive than
they were.
        I'm probably more of a stickler this way because I play with a lot of
newbies & strangers in stores, at cons, etc. and I've seen some really
(to be blunt) dumbass things with GW games (and others). There's using
other mini's because you don't have enough of that type, and there's
using mini's that have nothing to do with your force. "Ok, the avatar
jumps out of the Land Raider and -" Sure, we all read WD, but a lot of
people don't and they can cause all kinds of problems. I like the squat
lists, and the knight lists would probably work (all from this list or
the Journal) but there's a lot of other crap out there that doesn't -
these are uh, "recent" traitor marines so they use the normal space
marine lists, plus the chaos lists" - Sure. Guardians popping out of
rhinos (the famous Eldar foreign legion army where the empire provides
transport and some tanks, while the troops are mostly Aspects and the
afore-mentioned avatar). Also the Orky foreign legion - goffs popping
out of a Chimera, Leman Russ, Demolisher, Whirlwind, Land raider and
some Blood axe Nobz in Mega Armor with some Blood axe boyz. Is it an ork
army? Sorta. Hey! Why don't we just give every race the rhino and get
rid of all those other vehicles (OK, the Eldar rhino flies) and then
we'll solve the problem.
        Didn't mean to rant, just illustrating a point. How does everyone else
feel about the army lists in general? Are you Codex, or do you see them
as open to interpretation? If I played more with just my friends, I'd
probably be more flexible, but how do others see it? Does anyone
regularly use the alternate lists we've thrahsed out?

Chris Miller