Re: [Epic] Hello all from an ex-lurker

From: Michael the Liu <mikethel_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 16:41:18 -0800

>>* Some units have "over-riding" weird rules that seem to send play balance
>out >the window. (Ball rounds + void shields in ANY strength = no void
>shields, One >warp missile + 1 SHV with shields = 1 dead SHV)

>Just a quick point here (I don't want to start a huge arguement here) but
>how DO people use the Ball round from the Ork Gutbuster? The rules seem a
>little vague (IMHO) but they seem to state that when a ball round ploughs
>into a Void/Power Shielded Titan it loses all the shields as it knocks them
>down one after the other. Now is this just that it automatically happens or
>that it loses some momentum as it hits them?

>At our local club we thought that made them a little too powerful so we have
>always played that for each shield knocked down you loses 1cm of roll from
>the ball's movement. This usually makes little difference, but can mean
>that some units are saved as the Ball stops short. It makes sense to me
>that the Shields absorb some of the momentum of the ball as they go down.
>BTW it was my idea and I am the resident Ork player (Warlord NobJobz). What
>do others think of this?

I like the spirit of this rule a lot, though with that 100cm range (or
whatever the Ballround has), like you said, I can't see it making much of a
difference very often. Funny that the other races haven't come up with lame
ass solutions to void shields like, "let's roll a giant cannon ball at the
void shields, and knock 'em all down!" That has got to be one of the
stupidist ideas GW's come up with yet. It unbalances the game, and doesn't
make sense either. Can I run Nightwings charging at 200 into Titans to take
down all there shields? No!

Sorry, just whining a little, I've always hated that weapon.

Michael the Liu