Re: [Epic] Dune Epic 40K units

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:55:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hmm, should we be putting spoilers warnings on these, for people who
haven't read the books?

Excerpts from Epic: 26-Aug-97 Re: [Epic] Dune Epic 40K units by Tyler
Provick_at_intranet.c
> Other things not in the movie or books.
>
> Waning Moduals(Not spelt right) where the heck did they come from.

Basically, the Wierding (IIRC) Modules were developed so that the movie
didn't have to get into Herbert's theories on how to develop
super-soldiers. IIRC, there was a sub-plot where the Emperor's man grew
alarmed when the Baron said he wanted to place prisoners on Arrakis...
ie, like what the Emperor did on... on... on his prison planet to
produce the Saudakar. (sp?)

In the novel, the Duke had his men trained to a level that was
approaching the Saudakar, and the Fremen. In the movie, they got
Weirding Modules. Either way, the Emperor didn't want a (potentially)
superior fighting force out there, so he plotted to remove it.

> Jamis and his wife, In the book, the first man Paul kills. He gain
> "possesion" of the wife, and retains here throughout the series as a nanny
> for his children.

Basically that happened in the movie, too, except it happened a lot
faster and I don't think you had Harah trying to bed Paul. In _The
Making of Dune_, Paul's actor comments that the fight scene with Jamis
was difficult to do, because he had to go from fighting (void of
emotion, basically) to, basically, crying, all in the span of a minute
or so.

> The Baron is a child molester. Too nasty for the movie (Though he drinks
> blood in the movie)

Basically, he's a nasty person.

> The Baron is so overweight that he needs his suspensors to walk, but he
> cannot float, it merely keeps the weight off his legs.

Basically, I think that let the special effects guys show off....

> The Baron is the father of Jessica, which makes him Paul's Grandfather. I
> don't think they show this in the movie.

Nope. That's another subplot they mostly ignore, the Bene Gesserit
breeding scheme. (At least, all but the end effect. ^_^ ) They don't
have the 'failed' Messiah in the movie, for example (the Emperor's man I
mentioned above), who the Emperor commanded to kill Paul at the end.

Hmm, this *is* getting a little far from Epic, isn't it?

Later,

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...