RE: [Epic] Orks with LandRaiders

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 12:39:13 -0500

>----------
>FromI think this discussion is somewhat redundant in E40k as one of the
>principle aims of the system was abstraction above the complexities of WH40K.
>
>I personally think E40K LandRaiders can do sick amounts of damage etc .. but
>Epic is a different System to 40K with the background being the only link
>between them E40k would be the very same system if it involved foobars
>fighting widgets. I think people are looking for a correlation between E40K
>and WH40K which doesn't exist.
>
>Chris Pinson

-----> What? The background is the only thing the same? Many of the
notes and articles about the system leading up to it's release referred
to the need to link the system _more_ closely to 40K. The firefight
system is supposed to represent an entire 40K battle. Sure, the rules
are different, but the units, weapons, combat style, army lists and
terrain are all linked directly to 40K, so yes, I think it's reasonable
to work over why 2 LC's in one case = 2 AT shots and 2 LC's in another
case = 2-3 Fp. Many of us play both games and see no game or fluff
reason to make a distinction.
        "Abstraction above the complexities of WH40K" was absolutely not one of
the principle aims of E40K - it was a reduction of the numerous special
rules, exceptions, and general clutter of Space Marine & Titan Legions,
and an attempt to make it more closely resemble WH40K in it's current
form, allegedly so 40K players would try it out.
        Every unit in E40K is translated over from a unit in 40K (except for
some war machines- too big). So some of us are trying to figure it out
or at least come up with some kind of consistent way to convert. The AT
shot issue is one that's been around for a while, and probably will be
for some time.

Back to the issues in some other posts:

        I'm not as concerned with the comparison to a heavy weapons team or
squad - they can have LC's , but usually have a mix of weapons besides
LC's. Dreds, however, have fewer options in 40K and are one of the few
other situations where you get twin-linked LC's like a land raider, so I
would like to see an option for AT shots on dreads, umm well Imperial
dreads anyway. Eldar could certainly take disrupt, and there are
probably other options out there I've missed. Some options for other
tanks would be cool too - kinda like orky speedstas and the "death ray
or SLD" option.

Chris Miller