Re: Spaceship rules (was Re: [Epic] The WORST GW rules)

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 10:45:58 -0400

>I know I haven't covered Jovian Chronicles, which is mecha in space
>comabt IIRC, but I don't know anything about it. Oh, and if you do want
>3D combat, GDW's Space: 1889 ethership combat rules accounted for
>altitude IIRC.... ^_^

As I posted earlier, I've played another of DP9 (Jovian Chronical's
publisher) games, Heavy Gear. Anyway, there was a rule expansion that
covered fighter combat, which was cool, but was not played at the same scale
as the rest of the game, because turn ratios were just too big to fit with
the Gears. Anyway, they accounted for things likes sticking a missle lock.
Not only could you not just fire, you had to follow the enemy around for a
turn. They also had rules for Altitude and falling, as well as winds and
ground bombing, which was cool. You had to aim your bomb according to your
speed and height. Now, it was hexed based, which makes shooting anyone not
on a straight line annoying, but it did include rules for non-hexed,
something I'm sure JC will cover in greater depth. Altitude can easily be
shown by two different coloured dice. One colour for above plane, another
for below plane. That way, on two D6's, you could easily show height
differences up to 12 x whatever measurement you use for height.

Tyler