RE: Spaceship rules (was Re: [Epic] The WORST GW rules)

From: Peacekeeper-� <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 18:16:00 -0400

Sauron1 writes; The problem with all games using fliers. Whether it is WWI=

air combat or Silent death, is the 3d representation. The best setup I hav=
seen involves heavy base with direction markers and eather a telescoping =
or
fixed vertical rod onto with the air/space craft is held. The resulting =
rig
often dwarfs the actual playing piece,but can be used for any of this s=
tyle
of game.There have been some great ones at the Wargame cons,but I have=

never seen a commercial rig,nor one of plastic rod but the best was made
f=
rom telescoping car/radio arials. They do not seem appropriate for our
game=
 as the base requires too mutch ground space. sauron1

Actually, GW made =
an attempt with the flying rules from second edition. (see, back on topic:)=
.
They weren't that bad, although they had a few problems. For you E40K peo=
ple. There were 2 levels a flyer could go at. 'Low' was basicly skimming th=
e treetops. You used LOS to the model for the purposes of firing. 'High' wa=
s flying above the battlefield (they recomened putting the model on a cup o=
r something). Everything could see you and you could see everything. Fire f=
rom the ground added 25cm to the range. The flyer sufferen no such restrict=
ions, since it had gravity helping it. All in all, I think it worked well e=
nough. Doesn't really translate to E40K though. They current system is sort=
 of a hybrid. You can always see flyers, but there is no range restrictions=
.

-James