RE: [Epic] The WORST GW rules

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 10:39:14 -0400

>Believe you me, they tightened 40K up ALOT. Despite the fact that everyone
likes to bust on it, it isn't that bad anymore. Playable at least. I still
like epic alot better. Just because we mentioned space fleet. Anyone know a
good space game? I've heard of Full Thrust and Star Fleet Battles. I read up
a bit on the 2, liked Full Thrust better. One problem I always saw with
space games was that it's hard to represent 3 dimentional combat on a flat
surface. Oh well.

> -James

I'd have to suggest Jovian Chronicals, by DP9, they are my favorite gaming
company, and very nicely combine Table Top with RPG without having to do a
bunch of bizarre equations. In fact, I would say that although their rules
are all math based, they do spend much of their time making things
realistic. (Well, for Sci-fi anyway) I haven't played Jovian Chronicals, but
I know they were working on a space flight system, and if it is as good as
their other rules, then it will work, and work well. For example, when
assigning attributes to a character, an easy formula is used (Although they
give you the table)
      2
n=p x d

where n is the points cost, p is the attribute level you want, and d is the
difficulty of getting that attribute, 1 for simple, 2 for complex. So I want
to buy Hand to Hand level 2, it is a simple skill. It will cost me 4 points.
If I wanted Computer progamming 4, that would cost me 32 points, 2 more
points then I have to spend.

See, I am able to make a character by knowing a few simple equations, rather
then memorizing a table of values.

Now all I have to do is work the firepower table into an equation, and my
games of Epic can be significantly speeded up

Tyler