Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 17:56:57 -0400

>It's not even much of a rant. It's pretty clear to even a casual observer
>that there is a strange mixture of high tech talk, with low tech walk.
>Sure, there are things like Emporer class Titans, which are obviously
>ahead of our current technology, at least as far as the MIU goes. But the
>weapons mounted on such a platform should hit on a 2+ on a d10. Compare a
>Land Raider to an Abrahms, and you'll see that the Abrahms has an AT shot,
>and can shoot on the move, with little impact on it's accuracy. And
>can shoot far, far further than 1.5 times the range of small arms
>fire. Where are the avdvanced computer targetting systems you would
>expect to see in such an eliete forse as the Space Marines?

Nobody remembers the Dark Age of Technology? True, Marines should be better
shots, but you must remember, there are next to no computer systems. Most
stuff is Mechanical/Electrical, but since armor only augments strength, not
agility, it doesn't need an extra microchip, instead it uses the wearer's
own microchip, or brain. Same for most things, we had tanks, and computers,
and planes before Microchips (I think we might have even done a bit of space
flight before they were refined)

Tyler