Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 18:55:26 -0500

Tyler Provick wrote:

> Nobody remembers the Dark Age of Technology? True, Marines should be better
> shots, but you must remember, there are next to no computer systems. Most
> stuff is Mechanical/Electrical, but since armor only augments strength, not
> agility, it doesn't need an extra microchip, instead it uses the wearer's
> own microchip, or brain. Same for most things, we had tanks, and computers,
> and planes before Microchips (I think we might have even done a bit of space
> flight before they were refined)

<rant>
In 1914, WAY before computer aids to shooting, the British rifle fire
from their long service infantry was so accurate and long ranged that
the Germans thought the Brits had 3-5 machine guns per company, when in
fact they had on 4 or so per battalion. They expepted kills at 800+
meters That would be 400 inchs in Wh40K or 250cm in E40K. If you spend
10+ years of your life training to shoot a high power rifle you get damm
good.

Space Marines spend 100% of their life in training or in war. Why in the
hell do they only shoot to 48 meters? When I was in the Army I spent
some time as a range safety NCO, where I watched people that had never
fired an rifle in their life be able to hit a 50 meter target (which
would be equal to the upper 1/3 of a human body) at least 75% of the
time after one day, and pushing 100% of the time after 2-3 days. All GW
ranges for fire arms are WAY to short, unless of course you are doing a
Waterloo game. Oh, wait a second, they are, I forgot again.
</rant>