Re: [Epic] Q&A Question...

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 01:20:37 -0500

-----Scott States

> Feh, Jervis' statement pretty much contradicts
> the already-clear rules. These guys don't know the
> rule books by heart - there's plenty of examples from
> the old Q&As where Jervis and/or Andy gave incorrect
> answers. The Q&As are good for clearing up grey areas
> but don't (in my mind) override the printed rules unless
> they say, "yeah this isn't what it says in the books but
> we got it wrong there."
>
> BTW, what is this from? I don't remember Allen
> posting the new set of Q&As yet.
>
> Scott
> shupes_at_...

I agree. However, this is one of those times when Jervis is trying to
make one of those statements. I did post this (last week, I think), but
with all the electrical storms and resulting system crashes I've been
having out here I can't guarantee that the posting actually made it
through to the list. At the time, I was surprised that my posting didn't
garner much comment from the list. I think the comments we are seeing
now are the result of people seeing the Q&A on my web pages. If there
are people who don't have access to my web pages (or just don't want to
go there....) then I can post Jervis' last set of replies again.

Jervis goes through a rather long and complete description of exactly
how barrage templates are placed, how resulting firepower is calculated,
and how casualties are removed. The only part I was getting wrong in
my games was the placement of templates. (Jervis also seems to make
a tacit admission that the barrage rules, as written in the books, aren't
worded worth shite. Hopefully they will fix this along with other noted
typos in the next printing.)

It really doesn't make much difference. Place one template over the juicy
spot in the target detatchment, or stack several over the same spot. The
resultant firepower will be the same.

----Tyler states----
> How does that make sense? Why do they give you so many templates then, in
> case you brake one?

In case your three whirlwinds decide to barrage three *different* detatchments.

> That means a squad of Whirlwinds can't do as much damage as three whirlwinds
> in three detachments.

Unless you are hitting funny round off spots on the firepower table (Which
Harridans do, by the way. Always put your Harridans in seperate detatchments)
then the damage will be the same. 3*X = X + X + X.

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html
If you have questions about EPIC 40K and can't find the answers
in the rule books, send them to:
                    allen_at_...
They will be passed on to Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.