[Epic] Q&A Question...

From: <csalvato_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 97 16:44:39

Jervis' answer on the barrage issue:
--------
A: The answer is 'a', but as the question implies people are still confused by
the way barrages work, I'll explain how to use them in a bit more detail. When a
detachment fires a barrage, take the barrage template, and place it over some
[of] the target detachment. You can place it anywhere you like as long as all of
the template is in range of all of the units that are joining in with the
barrage (you can leave some units out if you want, but they can't fire a
seperate barrage). The number of enemy units from the target detachment that are
under the template determine the firepower value of all of the units from the
attacking detachment that are firing barrage weapons. Add up their firepower,
add in the firepower of any other units from the detachment that are shooting
with their 'ordinary firepower', and then carry on with the attack as normal.
Hits are allocated normally, and don't have to be used against the units that
were under the template. Note that you only use the barrage template once, and
that all it does is work out the firepower of the attacking unit, and that it
does NOT dictate who is hit by a barrage. I say again:

The template is ONLY used to work out the barraging units firepower!

-----------
While clarifying the issue of overlap, Jervis has managed to confound me inside
his answer. Until I read this, I thought the proper barrage procedure was:

1. count the number of units which have the barrage ability in the detachment
(for example, Whirlwinds).
2. Place a number of blast markers equal to the number of barraging units on
the target detachment. These templates may overlap however the barraging player
wishes, but each must be within range of a barraging unit.
3. Count the number of enemy units underneath the assorted barrage templates.
This is the amount of firepower that the barragers provide.

Now, reading the above answer, I believe that the followinig is the proper
procedure:

1. Take a single Barrage Template and place it on the target detachment within
range of one, some, or all of the barraging units.

2. Count the number of units under the barrage template. Add this number to
the firepower of the firing detachment for each barraging unit for which the
barrage template was in range.

Example:

5 whirlwinds are firing into an Ork Infantry detachment. The Whirlwind player
grabs the barrage template and places it over a juicy clump of 4 boyz stands.
He measures the range to the barrage template from the whirlwinds, and finds
that only 3 of the whirlwinds may actually hit taht location; the other two are
out of range. The player is faced with a quandry: either take the 12 firepower
for the 3 whirlwinds that *can* reach, or find a slightly less juicy grouping of
orks that is within range of *all* the whirlwinds. Let's assume he chooses to
keep the barrage template where it is. The 3 whirlwinds which did indeed have
range to the juicy grouping each provide 4 firepower to the detachment's total,
and the remaining two whirlwinds provide 0. If the player had chosen to move
the barrage to cover 2 stands of boyz with all five whirlwinds, the player would
add 10 firepower, 2 for each whirlwind. Regardless, the imperial player only
places a *single* barrage marker despite the fact that he has 5 barraging units.

Now. Here's the question. Is this the correct interpretation of teh barrage
procedure? If indeed this is correct, then I know *I've* been playing it wrong
since day one, and it might need to be clarified in the rulebooks.

To the list and to Jervis -- Am I reading this correctly?

Confused but liking the potential new barrage procedure,
Chris