RE: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: MCLAUGHLIN, RICHARD A. CPT <MCLAUGHLINR_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 15:22:02 +0200

----------
From: Sauron Moridor[SMTP:sauron1_at_...]
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 1997 1:06 PM
To: space-marine_at_...
Subject: Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

Sauron1 writes; With 40k I always assumed the intent was unsupported
squad
level close combat. In that I mean two relatively insignificant groups
of
infantry each sent out to do a small job by a local commander and
running
into each other " on the job " or like all those personal remembrances
of
small unit actions that make up the movie " The Longest Day " . That
is
why, I think GW has the rank structure it has in 40k. squads lead by
sergeant commander by a captain. 10=30 men per side is what it is
supposed
to be. No tanks, no artillery, no big leader. Just a group of grunts
trying
to get the job done. May be a few members with some dirtside
experience
could expand on this ( not the game )Opps! another long night tracking
"the
bad guys" time for a coffee fix and the big snoozer. sauron1

The players in my group have covered this subject extensively. I
always thought of a 40K battle as an isolated battle by squad sized
units (Small Unit Tactics). Kind of like the old b&w WWII TV series
COMBAT, starring Vic Morrow (a little italicized sarcasm };^')

I don't picture a 40K battle as a magnifying glass view of part of a
Epic40K battle. A 40K Cdr is concerned solely with the units in his
4x8 area of responsibility. There is little or no concern about his
flanks (beyond the table edge) nor does he have to "check 6". The
Epic40K rules for reserves, drop pods, and aircraft are not part of
every 40K battle.

The 40K battle (and Epic 40K) is meant to be equal point wise . Too
much of any one thing will unbalance the game. A Chaos player in our
groups pictures his 40K unit as the Elite strike force of an Epic
Army. He fields All Khorne Terminators with as many Reaper AC as
possible (2 out of every 3 models) and 3 Daemon Tanks of Nurgle (extra
Armor). Last Sunday another player with a Raven Wing had a very
difficult time.
(Your Point?)
Well the same player (Chaos of coarse) fields Terminators in LR and
Daemons (3 units of 6xLord or Change).

It is hard to find a balance. It is unrealistic (funny word to use
when describing a game) to fight every Epic40K and 40K battle with
armies consisting of 100% Elite forces. Sure it is fun to field such
an unstoppable juggernaught once in a while. Wargammers don't like to
play armies made up of all Ratlings and Penial Legions either. I
think you need to find a balance.

Well this is too much 40K for an Epic ML but Saurion1 brought it up
and I have been playing 40K much longer than I have played Epic (10
yrd vs 6 months). I hope there isn't too much "high-tech" talk with
"low-tech" walk (I love that line). };^')

MadMac