Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 15:58:01 -0500

Miller, Chris wrote:

> >If the enemy detachment obstructs line of sight, they won't be able to
> >fire at the enemies behind it unless they're skimmers or titans who are
> >high off the ground. Friendly units do not obstruct LOS, but enemy
> >units do (AFAIK).
>
> -----> OK, quick now, somebody with the rules handy remind us whether
> enemy units block LOS.

-snip-o-matic-
<sigh>

One more time.

Rule book, page 18, "Line of Fire Block"

"Line of Fire is blocked by terrain features sucha s buildings, hills, woods etc but not by other
units."

Notice it does not say "friendly units" or "hostile units" but "units".
</sigh>
Allen: Q&A time.

1) do you have to shoot the closes detachment? If so please why explain the "split fire" option
exists.

2) do enemy units block line of fire. If so, why don't the rules state this when on page 18 you
go out of your way to state that units do not block line of fire.

<rant>

Yhis is NOT Epic Space Marine 2nd Editon or Warhammer 40K. Please check your view of rules at
the door. You are not required to shoot at the closes detachment and detachments do not block
line of fire. Your tatics are not predone for you. You really do have to decide who you are
shooting at, not "The closes target". This is a good thing. Rules that make you do this (shoot
the closest unit) are flawed. The are broken. The result in cheesy tactics.

And while I am spining up here, game rules that let you charge a unit in the open and let you get
there with out being blasted are also flawed. Call it "Snap fire" or "Opportunity Fire" or
"Bounding Overwatch" (in fact the moving unit in the last case dosn't fire, it's the covering
unit that does so, but the effect is the same, something moves into the open and gets shot
at). Charging across an open field against a buch of guys with guns aimed at you will get you
killed. Ask the men of the 54th Mass. Regiment (see the movie "Glory"), all the major players in
WWI, Iran in the 1st Gulf War, and last but not least that bunch of Space Marine biker dudes that
tried that vs my ork Wartracks.
</rant>

I seem to be doing that <rant> thing alot. Maybe I should go back to designing TO&E for E40K
again.