[Epic] Chaos v Eldar (was Citadel Journal Article)

From: Sean A. Upchurch <sau_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 14:32:37 -0700 (PDT)

> > 3) Chaos can't beat Doomweavers and Swooping Hawks. They can't.
>
> Wow. This is very surprising. Have you tried Nurgle Engines, Chaos
> Arty, Firelords, etc. with skimming demon's to kill the swooping hawks
> when they come to play? The reason I'm surprised is that Flamers are

Yes we have.

> better than Swooping Hawks and a combination of Nurgle Arty and Khorne
> Arty is every bit as good as Doomweavers/Nightspinners. Seems like
> Chaos can take the Eldar on even terms to me.

The "Eldar" Chaos army is as you've described it. Nurgle Engines are the
same a Doomweavers so the blast marker game will go to the one who gets to
shoot first or more often. problem is that this will often be Eldar for
2 reasons. The first is that the Eldar get an extra init marker. The second
is the need for the Nurgle Engines to advance into range of the weavers. On
that turn [and all previous turns] the Eldar gets Overwatch which will usually
result in more blast markers.

The real problem chaos faces against the Eldar is lack of firepower in the
Daemon detachments. The swooping hawks can sit outside weapon range with
ther 45cm charge and be completely safe. They can then pick a likely daemon
detchment to come in and overwhelm. Once they win this, they then firefight
the rest of the daemons away. Chaos is now retreating and can't asault
back. If chaos assaults first then the hawks aren't even in range to hit.

This can be solved by forming a line of firepower behind the daemons and that
has been the preferred method. Chaos *can* take on the Eldar in fairly even
terms, but not when Eldar is up 20 or 30 morale from playing the T&H's wrong.

> > the Eldar to -2 when the last one died -- entirely because of those Take &
> > Holds, but I got them all ;)
>
> Hey, write up some battle reports, Sean! ;-)

I know, it's my job. The 2 dozen I already have on my page have been growing
stale I know. I've been avoiding battle reports while we've been learning the
new game, but that's over now.

I've got a Tyranid/Chaos report on the way. I'm at Fire Phase Turn 2 right
now. It goes to the Chaos player for his comments this weekend and if all goes
well it'll be HTMLd early early next week.

Well, since the plug is in. Remember folks that the only real contribution my
webpage makes to the game is as a Battle Report repository. I write most of
them myself but will take any you care to send to me. Now that the group is
playing correctly you should expect 1 [dare I say 2!] reports from me *each
and every month*. Well, I also write tactics sometimes...

Do people want me to post the reports to the mailing list or would you prefer a
"new report" mailing? My Battle reports are typically several hundred lines
each.

Sean U