RE: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: MCLAUGHLIN, RICHARD A. CPT <MCLAUGHLINR_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 08:52:19 +0200

----------
From: Mark A Shieh[SMTP:SHODAN+_at_...]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 1997 6:52 PM
To: 'space-marine_at_...'
Subject: Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

MCLAUGHLINR_at_...> writes:
>> I still have problems with the Supreme Commander. I don't like the
>> idea of not bringing one. All military operations have a single
>> tactical commander in charge of all ground forces.

> Yeah, there *is* a single tactical commander. But what
>happens when you take your 20000 point E40k army and tell part of it
>to scout ahead? Do you manage to produce a second unit that makes
>units around it stubborn?
> And there's also probably a single commander for each E40k
>battle that tells people what to do. You could arbitrarily declare
>the commander of a detachment to be the commander for the forces in
>this battle.

> It's like having the Chapter Master of a Marine Chapter show
>up to every single WH40k battle.

Mark

MadMac Replies,

I regretted that "single tactical commander" line the moment I hit the
send button.

I'm spoiled because I play Marines. I take the stubborn ability for
granted. Lets forget the single tactical commander and I know GW
would NEVER want a Chapter Master at every battle };^')

My question is part of a shooting war I accidentally started when I
hit some nerves on targeting rules.

1. Detachments do not block line of sight.
2. A detachment can target any detachment ignoring closer
detachments.

I think we all agree these are the Epic40K rules whether we like them
or not.

Picture if you will a Supreme Commander Detachment consisting of a
single CMD Stand in the middle of 6 Infantry stands from another
detachment. I know this is an extreme example but your opponent can
target the Supreme Commander and ignore the infantry around him.

We have added a 40Kish Commander Rule. The Supreme Commander and his
transport cannot be targeted if a like unit or vehicle is in front of
him. We also add the Supreme Commander cannot use this rule to
unfairly add FP and/or AT shots while hiding behind friendlies. It is
vague and you have to use the spirit of the rule and not hide behind
the letter of it.

MadMac