Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 09:35:07 -0500

MCLAUGHLIN, RICHARD A. CPT wrote:

> Picture if you will a Supreme Commander Detachment consisting of a
> single CMD Stand in the middle of 6 Infantry stands from another
> detachment. I know this is an extreme example but your opponent can
> target the Supreme Commander and ignore the infantry around him.

Bad army design. Commanders have either a staff or some sort of
protection unit around them, most of the time.

> We have added a 40Kish Commander Rule. The Supreme Commander and his
> transport cannot be targeted if a like unit or vehicle is in front of
> him. We also add the Supreme Commander cannot use this rule to
> unfairly add FP and/or AT shots while hiding behind friendlies. It is
>
> vague and you have to use the spirit of the rule and not hide behind
> the letter of it.

Believe it or not, I could live with this house rule, if and only if the
SC takes no body guards. If he takes guards, well then he just another
platoon to get beat up on, assuming you are silly enough to put him
right on the front lines. However as soon as you expand this rule to
be ANY commander, then you have problems. I don't buy the you can't
tell the commander from the grunts theory, he is the dude with the back
banner or waving the sword over he head. If you believe the 40K
background, command units are the one wearing the hugh "shoot me now"
signs on their backs, sticking up 2+ meters in the air.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus