RE: [Epic] Infiltration

From: MCLAUGHLIN, RICHARD A. CPT <MCLAUGHLINR_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 16:45:21 +0200

----------
From: Erik K. Rutins[SMTP:snowdo1_at_...]
Sent: Friday, September 05, 1997 1:29 PM
To: space-marine_at_...
Subject: Re: [Epic] Infiltration

>My point of view was always that since it was allowed in the rules,
the
>rationalization was that they used the vehicle to help them
infiltrate
>further. Either way, walking or riding, the first move I think
>everyone will agree does not happen in the instant that you move
them
>up. It represents activity prior to the battle. Thus there's less
>worry about in terms of time paradoxes and all that. I'd be more
>worried about assault marines in rhinos, myself.

MadMac: actually I was arguing against, but I have seen the error of
my ways. (look out for the empty beverage containers about to be
thrown by the 70% of us against this move)

>When I see a small scouting detachment of a few Razorbacks (you're
>right, they definitely are aimed at M3s) with some Scouts able to
get
>way ahead on the first turn, it doesn't seem wrong to me. Call me
>crazy...
>I understand what you're saying is that it's impossible for them to
>infiltrate with these big, noisy vehicles along. Well, if you use
the
>vehicles to move them WAY up, your enemy will probably be close
enough
>to kill all your scouts on turn 1. Enough said, he noticed them
'cause
>of the vehicles.
You have a big brain. };^')

>> On the other had the most effective scouts in the U.S. Army are
>> stationed at the National Training Center in California. These
light
>> infantry scouts WALK deep into our rear area and set of observation
>> posts throughout the battlefield. There are stories of these guys
>> having records of every single one of our bumper numbers (Vehicle
>> ID).

>I keep hearing great things about these guys. These are the OPFOR
>guys, right? Sounds extremely neat, too bad they're cutting back on
>light infantry along with everything else.

Actually OPFOR is a general abbreviation for Opposing Forces. The
11th ACR in California are one of many OPFOR. They are however the
best.

>Hey, is there such a thing as a 'silenced' tracked scouting vehicle?

NO. Never will be. A tracked vehicle by its very nature moves by
rubbing tons of metal against each other. A LOT OF NOISE. A good
scout (by definition a good scout is hiding and listening and not
shooting) can identify every armored vehicle he hears at night by
sound alone. Every Armored vehicle makes a distinct sound. At night
when the rest of the world is quiet you cannot even sneak a wheeled
vehicle past an alert scout.

So as far as I'm concerned a Scout can infiltrate in a Rhino, a
Razorback, on a train, in the rain . . . .
But (here I go starting trouble) drop pods do deploy together so I
don't know about the +30 for them, but I don't care because every
scout you bring is one less assault troop and they ARE dangerous.

MadMac