Re: [Epic] Infiltration

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 17:55:12 -0700

MCLAUGHLIN, RICHARD A. CPT wrote:

> On the other had the most effective scouts in the U.S. Army are
> stationed at the National Training Center in California. These light
> infantry scouts WALK deep into our rear area and set of observation
> posts throughout the battlefield. There are stories of these guys
> having records of every single one of our bumper numbers (Vehicle
> ID).

Of course. In Oz this would not be considered such a big deal, it's what
Light Infantry are for. "Light" in this sense is a bit of a misnomer, if
you're going on an 8-day patrol way behind the FEBA, you take many many
kilos of water, and not a few of food.

Example: RAAF Cadets (Air Training Corps, ie 14 year olds) on an evasion
exercise dressed in blue 1-piece overalls, wear parade boots (shiny),
and are told to hide in a 100m x 100m area. They have only 30 mins
before the searchers comb the area. The searchers wear name tags.

Even _I_ collected 14... and was silly enough to untie one guy's
bootlaces. Still didn't get caught. Just a matter of training and
fieldcraft. Many DID get caught though. The search was thorough. They
got 4 guys out of a hollow tree, the last 2 both protected by separate
"false floors" they'd constructed as they'd climbed inside it.

SAS of course can hide in an open paddock given 20 seconds. They ARE
unbelievable.
--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo