RE: [Epic] Infiltration

From: MCLAUGHLIN, RICHARD A. CPT <MCLAUGHLINR_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:25:30 +0200

----------
From: Sean A. Upchurch[SMTP:sau_at_...]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 1997 8:26 PM
To: space-marine_at_...
Subject: Re: [Epic] Infiltration

Here's something that came up in our *very first* game of EPIC40K
which we
still haven't resolved. Check it out!

SitRep:
Marine player has purchased an infantry detachment without vehicles so
he can
drop pod deploy them. This detachment has scout in it.

The Game:
Marine drops his troops. The scouts jump out of their pods, move 30cm
then
take a regular move.

The Rules:
1) Infiltrators get 30cm bonus move if they don't deploy on the
table.
2) Drop Pods enter as reserves

How we did it:
* Drop Pod troops are not deployed as they entered by reserves
* Since they are not deployed, they should get their bonus move
* The only "reality" argument is something like: "Cool! Decoy drop
pods."

The story:
Scouts drop with decoy pods to confuse the enemy of their drop
location. The
real pods are highly shielded and employ chameleon fields to make them
hard to
spot especially since the enemy eye is drawn toward to decoy pod.

What really happened:
We were all stunned. Scrambling through the rules could neither
comfirm nor
deny anything. I thought it was such a cool idea that I let the
marine player
do it. It turns out that the scouts didn't add very much to the drop
force and
nobody has done it again ever since so we quietly forgot about it.

Sean U
"Give me a can of worms, I'll open it."

MadMac Replies,
Good Point. I don't think the +30 cm will hurt anybody one way or
another unless you bring 10 Scouts in Razorbacks.

MadMac