Re: [Epic] Overwatched Barrages

From: Christian Nielsen <raveallnight_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 01:40:58 -0700 (PDT)

---Bart Koehler wrote:

> All,
>
> OK. I've been observing the list for a few months while I get used
to the
> game mechanics (I am new to Epic with the new edition), and I
thought I
> would wait until I could at least speak semi-intelligently about the
game
> before posting. Well, I'm posting and whether or not it's
semi-intelligent
> is another thing.
>
> Anyway, someone please explain to me why Barrages, particularly
Indirect
> 90cm Heavy Artillery type barrages can be overwatched?! As an Orc
player I
> tend to have areas of my army that are somewhat dense with boyz, yes
it's
> true. These overwatched barrages are getting to be a bit
troublesome. How
> can these shots be put on overwatch. Do they have a meteorologist
doing a
> better job at reading wind currents and humidity? Perhaps they have
> laser topology of the battle field which allows them to redirect
barrages?
> (Note the sarcasm) A barrage is a barrage. A better aimed barrage
is
> still a barrage. I just don't think that these types of shots
should be
> able to go on overwatch. It is not as if the units shooting can
control
> the blast area once they've shot. Anyway, I would like some of you
> experienced players to explain why my boyz are getting flattened by
these
> overwatched barrages. End of rant.
>
> Bart

Well, at least you've learnt about Imperial artillery: avoid it.
Sorry if my reply is a little slow, but I've just started with a new
server. Awnyway, I explain overwatch for artillery in the following
ways:

1) Overwatch means you sit still and shoot. A normal move means that
you move a bit first and then shoot, so you have less time to take aim
(plot co-ordinates).

2) Artillery on overwatch could be thought of as firing twice as much
as it would normally be able to do if it had to spend time moving
around.

3) Yes, they SHOULD have laser blah-blah maps of the battlefield
(geeze, the Yanks already do, think about it in 38000 years' time!)

My explaination (totally unbiased)

Christian

===
"90cm is short ranged?!? ...you must be an IG player."

                        Scott Shupe, 25/7/97

Visit my Epic homepage at
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/4109