Re: [Epic] web site update

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 16:38:24 -0400 (EDT)

Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...> writes:
> Mark A Shieh wrote:
> >
> > Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...> writes:
> > > Does anyone mount Falcons on a stand? I'd like mine to be a
> > > centimeter or so off the ground. Does anyone do that? What do
> > > you use? I could try to find something clear, or I could mount
> > > it on a piece of plastic and flock it. What looks good to you?
> >
> > I've been meaning to, but don't have enough stands. Several
> > companies make flier bases... They're basically the ones that come
> > with Nightwings, etc... But I have many, many Falcons and not enough
> > bases. I'll give it another look for the next battle. GW made some
> > new bases, though I forget where to get them. Aaron got a bunch from
> > GWUKMO when he ordered far too many Space Fleet minis...
>
> Do you really want 'em that high? I saw old falcons on tall stands
> when I got Space Marine Battles for Sauron, but I thought they were
> too tall. I'd like 'em a centimeter or so off the ground, I think.
> Maybe a tad more. I could lop off the pole, I guess, but I think
> the bases would be too wide.

        I started using paper clips and pennies for my Jetbikes.
You've got to use more flock to cover the paper clip spiral that I
have on the penny, and I paint my paper clip stands black/payne's
grey. But this way, you can specify the height you want them at.
        Also, the new GW flight bases come with two poles per base,
one at standard height and one at half height. If you can find some
of these, you can use the short ones for the Falcons.

> All the hex flight bases I can find I keep for Full Thrust.

        Yeah, these are what I'm talking about. But if you take one
of the GW flight bases, anyways, you'll notice that these can mount
Falcons with no slip and no gluing. I'm not sure if the other brands
fit so exactly. So if you've got any unpainted Full Thrust models,
borrow their flight bases, at least long enough to take pictures.
When you get around to painting the Full Thrust minis, take the base
back.
        Unfortunately, this only works if you keep a ridiculous
backlog of minis around like we do. :) It does seem to be pretty
common in this hobby though...

Mark