RE: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: MCLAUGHLIN, RICHARD A. CPT <MCLAUGHLINR_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 17:59:07 +0200

----------
From: Erik K. Rutins[SMTP:snowdo1_at_...]
Subject: Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

>Mac,
>
>Thanks for the story.

>> "No sir", the driver reponded. "I just drive forward and figure as
>> long as we don't hit nuttin we are good-to-go."

> I love it! How many fender-benders do M1 platoons have?

>> TC: "Fire! Gunner you have the turrent I'm on the .50 Cal."

> Does this mean he's on top, in the open, manning a machine gun? Is
> there infantry around, or what? I can't imagine even a .50 cal would
> do anything against a BMP, would it?

A chastised MadMac responds lamely:
Yes, the TC has to expose himself to fire the .50 Cal much like the storm
bolter on the Leman Russ. .50 Cal vs BMP? I don't know but it shows
that you can pick your targets in the heat of battle but you don't always
make the right decision. I should have made it a BRDM. Tankers don't
like to fight "buttened up". You lose the 360 field of vision and a tank is
vulnerable from the sides and rear (GW got that right).

Then again I chased a BRDM away with a M60 (7.62 MG). I didn't get
any kills but the near miss light went off enough times to send him
away. 2 minutes later the little shit called a Hind in on us but the
LAW chased him off. The BMP that came by after that waxed us.
- at NTC vs OPFOR

When bullets are flying at you, you don't always get to ignore them just
because the book says you are safe. I believe there are stories of the
M-2 Bradly recording a few kills on tanks. Buy the book, they should
never have been shooting at them.

> Is that what you wanted Looney. I can't believe I'm doing this. I
> am against the target anyone rule.

<chuckle> Hey, at least you're honest and open-minded about it. :-)
The performance of the M1A1 Heavy during Desert Storm was really
amazing, wasn't it? Some of the _true_ stories I've heard are almost
incredible as far as the performance of the armor and the accurate
range of the main gun. Desert's tank country, though, and Germany
would have meant shorter range engagements, IMHO.

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius