Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 12:58:09 -0400

Mac,

> Yes, the TC has to expose himself to fire the .50 Cal much like the
storm
> bolter on the Leman Russ. .50 Cal vs BMP? I don't know but it shows
> that you can pick your targets in the heat of battle but you don't
always
> make the right decision. I should have made it a BRDM. Tankers
don't
> like to fight "buttened up". You lose the 360 field of vision and a
tank is
> vulnerable from the sides and rear (GW got that right).

No prob, just trying to figure it out. I can buy wanting the 360
degree vision, but what happens to those Sabot rounds when they
'bounce' off an M1A1? I've always been curious as to whether it would
be wise to be exposed in the turret at that instant. A picture I saw
of a APFSDSU round hitting (I think) an M60 displayed a terrific amount
of firework on entry and exit.

A BRDM I could definitely see going down to a .50 Cal - they're like
M113s. Always surprises me that they haven't come up with a better APC
than the M113/Rhino in the 41st millenium. Yeah, I know, a lot was
lost, but...

> Then again I chased a BRDM away with a M60 (7.62 MG). I didn't get
> any kills but the near miss light went off enough times to send him
> away. 2 minutes later the little shit called a Hind in on us but the

> LAW chased him off. The BMP that came by after that waxed us.

How do they handle the weaponry at the NTC - infrared lasers?

> because the book says you are safe. I believe there are stories of
the
> M-2 Bradly recording a few kills on tanks. Buy the book, they should
> never have been shooting at them.

I've heard of this, too. That 25mm chain gun can apparently do some
damage - particularly from the rear. Of course, now that they have the
TOW-2 missile, watch out!

Just to keep things vaguely on topic... I wonder why Imperial forces
don't have ATGMs anymore? I mean the Orks have figured out a 'krooz
missul'... The Whirlwind is a strange creature - kinda looks like it
mighta been based on an M901 loosely but it's artillery rather than
anti-tank. I guess the 'modern' laser is better at tank-busting than
missiles.

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius