Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 14:08:54 -0500

J. Michael Looney wrote:

> Erik K. Rutins wrote:
> >
> > Mac,
> >
> > Thanks for the story.
> >
> > > "No sir", the driver reponded. "I just drive forward and figure as
> > > long as we don't hit nuttin we are good-to-go."
> >
> > I love it! How many fender-benders do M1 platoons have?
> >
> > > TC: "Fire! Gunner you have the turrent I'm on the .50 Cal."
> >
> > Does this mean he's on top, in the open, manning a machine gun? Is
> > there infantry around, or what? I can't imagine even a .50 cal would
> > do anything against a BMP, would it?
> >
> I belive, but could be wrong that the M2 .50cal can be fired from under
> armor on a M1A1 MBT.

NOTE: MadMac says it can't be fired that way. Go with what he said.
With out looking at my books I assumed it had the same sort of mini
turret that the M60A3 had. I grabbed my "Janes TANK Recognition Guide
(1996 version) and sure enough, no mini turret on top... Damn, I hate it
when I do that...

> I KNOW that a .50 cal will penetrate a BMP at least on the side.

This I can back up from seeing a dead BMP at Ft. Bliss with LOTS of .50
holes in from where the 3rd herd got happy on it.

Don't ask where that BMP came from, I suppect it came from the same
place that the "Former Soviet" SAM systems and ZSU-23/4 came from. I
think that a blue six pointed star had some thing to do with it, but
they never did tell us for real....