Re: [Epic] Pulsar, vortex, misc. questions

From: Philip Charlton <philipc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 12:56:08 +1100 (EST)

> > Ok, so if a model is shot by a pulsar, it makes d6 saves. Does it also lose
> > d6 void shields, or just one?
> Effectively each 'save' is like a regular hit (ie if you get 6 hits
> treat it like 6 las cannon hits - if theres void shields up each hit knocks
> down a shield, once the shields are gone each hit scatters (if against a titan
> ) seperately and saves are made seperately. Forgive me if Im misinterpreting
> the motivation behind your question but it doest ignore void shields or get hits
> against the titans AND drop shields (unless you get more hits than shields in
> which case the shields are gone and the excess hits are resolved normally :) )

No, I meant: does it knock down UP TO d6 void shields, with the remaining shots
(if any) worked out against the models armour.

> > What happen when void shields are hit by a vortex template? Do they all go
> > down, or does the model take d6 hits, which knock down up to d6 void shields,
> > and then the remaining hits are resolved on the model as usual ie. no armour
> > save?
> > (I'm aware of the Q&A on this, but knocking down all shields seems harsh, and
> > not remotely justified by the rules)
> There are plenty of harsh and / or unjustified rulings. Hell theres
> often contradictory rulings. Welcome to the wonderful world of GW.

Of course! But what's the answer? Or mor to the point, how do most
people do it? The reason I ask is because it seems straightforward
to me: vortex templates do d6 hits, no armour save allowed. It says nothing
about any *special* rules for void shields, so I would assume that the "hits"
are treated exactly as ordinary hits - each one knocks down a void shield,
when all the shields are gone, excess hits are resolved on the model but
with no armour save.

> > Should the Vortex template produced by the 1000 Sons scatter?
> You bet it should :).

I don't mind either way, but: why? I know it's supposed "act like a vortex
missile yadda yadda" but it's not clear to me that that includes scattering.
(I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to find out if there's any way
the existing rules can be used to answer this question)

Thanks
Philip