Re: [Epic] Couple Questions

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 08:57:15 -0400

Aaron,

Just a few quick comments here as I came into Epic from a WHFB
background...

> Just to point out, I thought that the magic rules were being
overhauled
> (though again, agreement was they needed it) with a corresponding

The changes in WHFB from 4th to 5th were basically what keeps getting
talked about as what should have been done with SM/TL. Only problem
is, they messed it up. What I mean is that the intention was to
eliminate rules confusion and grey areas while limiting magic. The
'overhaul' basically consisted of allowing you to cast magic half as
often, while giving you new nifty items that are _so_ overdone that
magic still becomes more powerful! As for 3rd edition, the changes
from 3rd to 4th weren't huge. The main painful aspect is that 4th was
like 3rd with some of the best troop oriented rules left behind (i.e.
regiments being able to do formations) and a newfound emphasis on more
characters, more magic items, more spells... It became a game of
beat-my-character if played by the rules rather than in the best
possible spirit. Argh, enough ranting on that.

What I would really like to say is that for me, Epic 40k was a a
refreshing change from GW's standard policy of incremental upgrades
that don't significantly improve the game - just change it enough that
you have to shell out another load of dough to stay current. I _wish_
they would give WHFB an overhaul and come out with as clean and concise
a system as Epic 40k. Another shocker for me was all the army lists in
the original box. The WHFB army lists are the worst example of power
creep and a real money-maker.

> (newerr, more expensive) minis. Something to ponder: are the game
> designers including this power creep of their own volition, or is it
> something they are being told to do/forced to do? I prefer to think
the
> latter, but that doesn't speak well of GW as a whole... not that much
> does. :P

I have often wondered... I think there is a combination of both. No
doubt someone is watching each army's sales. If sales fall off (i.e.
for High Elves once they were the weakest kids on the block) I'm sure
there's a corresponding request to the designers to 're-evaluate' said
army.

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius