RE: [Epic] SM2 Die Hard

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 06:44:56 -0700

----> Sure looked like it to me - different armor values etc.

>So I think the very best EPIC system would be one that could combined all
>the features from all five (I think) editions here are the bits I would
>like.
>Variable weapons (from SM ed1 and E40k)
-----> This sounds real nice until you sit down and try to play a decent
sized
battle with a lot of troops - every stand gets "bolters" plus a heavy
weapon, and
you had pretty much all the guns available in WH40K.
#1 - try and model this accurrately
#2 - try and keep track of it during the game, unless it's "all the
Blood Angels
have Hvy PLasma guns but all the Ultras have Missile Launchers."
 It bogs the game down immensely. One of the best things about SM2 vs
SM1 was
the speed of play while still feeling pretty much "right". I actually
have grown to
like the FP system through the limited # of games I've played. It works,
and
avoids a lot of those "but I have <gun type>s" arguments.

-----> OK, I'll give here. Titans are special to some of us...

>customisable units (e40k)
----> One fo the better innovations for the new ed. No more
of the "Unit has 5 models but the blister has 3/sprue has 4"
  inconvenience

>PS I think this system would probably be incredibly combersome (you can't
>have everything *sigh*)
-----> Might be a way , but it would take a whole lotta work, and you
know
many people on this list would find some thing to be really unhappy
about.
Many of us are willing to make a compromise for playability in some
areas of the rules,
the problem is we tend to pick different areas.
(Ex: Variety of orky units.)

----> Chris Miller