Re: [Epic] Replicate Miniatures

From: Mike Bowen <mbowen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 11:29:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Sauron Moridor wrote:

> Sauron1 writes; Mike; As far as bubble removal from resin casting, I hear
> vibration, as that from a running electric motor or compressor will cause
> the bubbles to rise to the top.

True, but the I use quick set resin. Its gel time is too fast for bubbles
to rise to the surface and pop. This would work with the polyester resin
which is slower setting. polyester resin is nastier to work with, bas
smell, and some people get sensitive to it.. rashes, etc. Go with the
fast set resin. Much better, with less heath problems.
Some of those material data sheets are scary!

You can use the vibration method with the RTV, as some brands take
18-24 hours to gell up. plenty of time for the air bubbles to get out.
I use the vacuum/pressure method--> much faster!

> My friends made original bulk heads similar
> to those in GW,s Necromunda for SCI-Fi. They were one sided and the
> originals were from plastic card and metal rail way nails as rivet heads. I
> suppose you could make copies of your own Epic scale building designs this
> way. sauron1

 Yep, flat pieces are the easiest to cast. Model railroad companies been
doing this for years for limited edition cars and buildings.

**
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of
Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
becomes a warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

mike
**