Re: [Epic] 'Nids 'Nids 'Nids

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 10:22:04 -0400

Keith Laidlaw wrote:

> I've played with Tyrannids a couple of times trying to get used to the
> new rules and working out viable tactics.
> The best I can come up with is have two detachments consiting of
> nothing but assault spawn. Use another two detachments of infantry and
> carry them within the assault spawn. Add a mycetic swarm for
> re-enforcements on turn two.
>
> The assault spawn go on march orders and the infantry assault from
> them. This should allow you to get into hand-to-hand in turn one (a
> total distance of
>
> (3*25)-5 + (15-5) + 15 = 95 cm.
> assault spawn 1st infantry 2nd infantry
> march assault assault
>
> Having started on second editon Epic where infantry carried in
> vehicles ony get a proportion of their move according to how far the
> vehicle has moved, the above tactic seems a bit unrealistic - but it's
> the only way I can get Tyrannids into hand-to-hand before they are
> decimated.
>
> Of course, I may be misunderstanding the movement rules and the above
> tactic is illegal.

        No, it's perfectly legal. In fact, you're probably
shorting yourself a few cm there - if the infantry is moving
into close combat, it gets to double its move in the assault
phase, giving you a grand total of 110 cm. Scary.

        Out of curiosity, what are you getting 'decimated'
by? I'm wondering what tactics/force composition your opponent
is using that could be so effective against the bugs.

Scott
shupes_at_...