Re: [Epic] Eldar Army

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 09:14:18 -0400

First off, you don't need a farseer leading every detachment. It also
gets very expensive!

> Det. 1
> 1 Farseer on Vyper
> 10 Jetbike units
> 5 Vypers

I've found this to be handy against opponents without serious artillery.
I wish I could field two of 'em in those cases.

> Det.s 2&3
> 1 Farseer
> 2 Striking Scorpions
> 2 Fire Dragons
> 2 Swooping Hawks
> 2 Dire Avengers
> 1 Howling Banshee
> 1 Dark Reaper
> I haven't decided exactly which units I want to put Exarchs in yet.

What about transport for these guys? I generally keep the assault
aspects in one detachment. If they have jump packs, let 'em go it
alone. If not, load 'em in wave serpents. Dark Reapers get their own
detachment and I load 'em in Falcons for the extra 45cm FP. Put Exarchs
in wherever you can and don't forget some warlocks.

> Det. 4
> 1 Farseer
> 10 Guardians(in Falcons)
> 4 Fire Prisms
> 3 Support Platforms

Too big. Don't forget you only have 5 main force slots and 5 support
slots in Eldar detachments. If you want to transport all 10 guardians,
you have to use your support slots to take another 5 falcons, thus
obviating the possibility of using the fire prisms or support
platforms. Personally, I really like the 10 guardians/10 falcons
detachments and have found them quite handy using a firefight then
overwatch strategy. Put the fire prisms in a separate detachment, put
the support platforms in a detachment with the Dark Reapers and load 'em
in a wave serpent.

> Det. 5
> 1 Farseer
> 10 Guardians(in Falcons)
> 2 Night Spinners
> 9 Support Platforms

Too many - See above. As far as Night Spinners go, field these with
some falcons in their own detachment and you'll be fine.

> Det. 6
> 1 Farseer
> 6 Guardians
> 4 Scouts
> 6 Support Platforms
> 4 Dreadnaughts

Interesting detachment. Very mixed - I'd have to try this one out to
really find out its worth. It is definitely multi-role and that can be
both a curse and a blessing, depending on scenario.

> Com. 1
> 2 Dreadnaughts
> 1 Wraithguard w/Warlock
> 1 Wraithguard

This should tear a few things apart.

> Com. 2
> Farseer
> 2 Dreadnaughts
> 1 Wraithguard w/Warlock
> 1 Wraithguard

I would make at least one of your commander detachments very mobile.
That way you can choose where your reroll and stubborn ability will
apply. Making both move at infantry speeds is going to get frustrating,
IMHO.

> Fleet
> 3 Nightwings

You can always have more of these. For an army this size I would take 2
to 3 detachments of four Nightwings each.

> W.E.
> 1 Phantom Titan
> 1 Warlock Titan

Always handy - do you have any revenants? If so take two in place of
one of the big titans for a little more flexibility.

> 1.) Mounting the Aspect Warrior dets. In the falcons rather than the Guardians. My guess is that they are going to be useless right now with a movement of only 15 cm.

Oops, I should have read 'til the end - sorry! Do you have wave
serpents? If so, mount 'em in those. Wave Serpents are the ideal
assault transport. Falcons are better for the firefighting guardian
style or the dark reaper style detachments.

> Also, how many people on the list live in the Toronto area. I would like to play someone other than my friends Imperial army some day.

Sorry, but if you feel like driving to New Jersey, let me know.

Regards,

- Erik