Re: [Epic]Assault Troops in the Horus Heresy

From: Stephen Sheldon <stephes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 09:57:00 -0700 (PDT)

> I know exactly the pic you are referring to. There is also a marine on a
> bike jumping off of a broken highway over-pass, which always gives me a
> chuckle. I actually went out and bought some ships from Silent Death a
> while back that closely resemble the one in the pic. It also happens to
> look like the dropship in Aliens, which was probably the coolest troop
> dropship of all times. I loved that scene where they are dropping to the
> planet the first time and those missile wings open up! "Where in the pipe,
> 5x5" whatever that means. I played around for a while with rules that
> would allow troops with jump packs to exit dropships without the ship
> having to land. I mean come-on, if modern day Marines can drop down a rope
> out of a helicopter, why can't bio-engineered, super-human,
> killing-machines armed with jump packs, that practically make them fly,
> jump out of a moving, albeit slowly, Thunderhawk? I think this will be the
> first house rule I write for my "House Rules" section on my web page.

There were rules for dropping out of a moving dropship, created on this
list for SM2nd. The picture you are talking about is really cool, there
were a bunch like that, a couple of excellent knight scenes, one I
remember has a warhoud going criticalafter having it's legs blown off.
The difference between the art then and now, is back then it was very
active, and busy, it told a story. Now the art just shows gimpy little
pictures. Anyone remember the converted aliens dropship in the WH40kRT
compendium? It was converted to a SM unit. Similarly in WD119(I think)
the issue with the sabre, there are a couple of incredible scout titans
for 40k, modelled from star wars AT-ST walkers.
Final little question, does anyone know why people use the phrase '5x5'
in radio communications?
Steve

--
When you dream there are no rules, people can fly, anything can happen.
Sometimes, there's a moment as you're waking, that you become aware of