Re: [Epic] Fliers

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:44:14 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 23-Oct-97 RE: [Epic] Fliers by Neil R. Thomason_at_lancast
> >Personally I think it is strange that Space Marines dont have their own
> >fighter escorts(much like whirlwinds) as this would reduce their reliance
> >upon the imperium for fighter escort.
>
> The idea was that after the Horus Heresy, no Imperial army could have its
> own interstellar transport, to limit the impact of rogue Imperia1 Guard
> regiments or Marine Chapters.

Actually, that is not the case. It is solely the Guard and Titan Legion
regiments that do not have their own transport; Marines do have their
own starships, as the size reduction (legion down to chapter) is
supposed to limit the impact if Inquisitors don't catch a Chapter before
it turns rogue. Allowing Marines their own transport is the only way to
ensure that they can adequately respond to emergencies; Guard and TL
regiments need to get multiple sets of orders (for them & for their
transport) which then need to be confirmed by the astropaths on the
transport. While still FTL, this can take a while.

>Since Imperial flyers are able to operate in
> space, it's quite logical that they'd be under the authority of the Navy
> too.

Hmm? Does it actually state this anywhere? I know it does for the
Eldar Nightwing, but I didn't think it was the case for the Imperial
flyers... they look like they have airbreathing engines.

>So I think it's quite deliberate that Marines aren't allowed their own
> fighters; they're just not trusted.

I'd have to disagree here... but I also don't have any idea why the
Marines wouldn't get their own flyers. Just GW. (Though you'd think
they'd want to release another model... hmm....)

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...